Followers

Thursday, September 25, 2008

One Month Check-Up

Emily had her one month check-up on September 21. She got her second round of the Hep B vaccine - ouchie! But she only cried for a second and then she was over it. Such a brave girl!! She weighed 10lbs even and was 21.25 inches long - I can't believe she has already grown an inch! Everyday it seems like she has gotten so much bigger!

We are adjusting to our new lives slowly. We are both seriously sleep deprived, but we are getting into more of a groove. I usually go to bed around 9pm during the week and Kerry takes care of the 11pm feeding (he has always stayed up this late - insane I say!) so I am able to get a few uninterupted hours of sleep before she is up and ready to eat again. On Friday and Saturday nights, Kerry usually gets up with her so I can have a break. You just never really understand the meaning of teamwork until you have a baby! But, even though it has been difficult, she has been worth every minute of it.

I was reminiscing the other night about the time we spent in the hospital and, oddly enough, the labor pains are not what I remember most. What I remember the most is how big and bright her eyes looked when she was brought to me in the middle of the night to be nursed. It was so quiet and peaceful and I guess you can say these were our first bonding moments. She would always be wide awake, but she never made a peep and she always smelled faintly of vanilla ( I know now that was from the soothie pacifier they were giving her in the nursery). Her little lips were always kind of pursed together and her skin was so soft and smooth and warm and she seemed so small all swaddled up. We had so many visitors at the hospital, that we didn't get a lot of alone time (not that I am complaining - I was glad to have so much help around!!) so I think it made those moments all the more sweet. Maybe someday I will be able to share these memories with her...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Sleep deprived... yes - that is hard. What a special memory and some of those memories tend to slip away as time goes by so it is wonderful that you wrote it now to share with her later.